Sixteen going on Seventeen is NOT the weirdest song in the Sound of Music.


Last week in class we watched the music video for the song, "Sixteen going on Seventeen" from the sound of music. I love the movie/musical and I've watched it since I was like eight years old, so nothing seemed out of the ordinary for me when we watched the clip. But then I realized that to people who have never seen the movie, this scene is bizarre. First of all, Rolf is only a year older than Liesel, so to someone who hasn't seen the movie (or hasn't watched it in a long time) it seems kind of dumb that he would claim to protect her so strongly. Especially because Liesel has the upper hand in the relationship (she is clearly letting Rolf think that he's right because she likes him and wants his feelings to be mutual) Then there is the way the scene is set. No one in their right mind would naturally move like that, and the scene is blocked as if it were a stage production instead of a movie. Lastly, the fact that Rolf spends the entire scene avoiding Liesel's flirtatious movements only to kiss her and then run away without another word is weird. And her "Yipeee" response is kind of weird too. To be honest, the whole song could have been avoided if they would have just told each other that they liked each other. That being said, This isn't the weirdest scene in the sound of music. "The Lonely Goatherd" is. I attached the scene for anyone who hasn't watched the movie, but for those of you who have, I hope that you agree with me. First of all, I understand that the VonTrapp family is extremely wealthy, but who has a massive puppet theater with large marionette puppets available to pull out of wherever? And how is it stored? Does it have wheels on it? I have so many questions. It just seems to take up a lot of unnecessary room. Furthermore, the puppets are low-key creepy. To me, it seems that the human (?) puppets and the goat puppets manage to have the same facial expressions, which is unsettling. Lastly, the children all seem to know exactly how to run the show. I know that it is just a movie, but if we are looking at it from inside the story, the Von Trapp children didn't know how to sing at the start of the film. So how did they learn to pull off such an elaborate show, not tangle the puppet strings, work that many puppets? It honestly blows my mind. This scene is for sure the weirdest one in the movie.

Comments

  1. And if I recall, it's another song about people (or goats) about coupling up. Yet that "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" line "Your life little girl is an empty page / That men will want to write on" gives me the shivers..... (And thus, it is a good deal more creepy to me.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts