I disliked A&P.



Let me take you back to a time when things were simpler. It's the 1960s, and everyone is having a blast spending their hard earned money on beach vacations for their family, and if you are lucky enough, you might be able to get a summer job working at the local grocery store, where you might just meet the love of your life in the form of a cart pushing store patron! Oh, and do not forget about the rampant sexism that came along with the job! Obviously, I am being strictly satirical when I say this. I can not express my feelings towards the short story A&P in a positive light. Simply put, I hated it. I found the narrator, Sammy, to be absolutely dull and unable to have an insightful thought about anything other than "Queenie", "the Tall One" or the "Chunky One", and the vocabulary he used when describing the girls who came into the store was absurd. I think the knight-in-shining-armor ideology that Sammy carried through out the story made it even more terrible. He literally quit his job in order to make himself look good to the bathing-suit-clad girls he didn't even know shortly after calling the girls brainless. And then there was the ending. In my opinion, it was the worst part of the whole thing. So Sammy quits his job, and scurries out of the store to meet "his girls" and once he realizes that they are gone, he begins to internalize how difficult his life is going to be because he made the mistake of quitting. It is almost as if he blames the girls for his mistake. Unfortunately, this narrative is nothing new. The fact of the matter is the sexist behavior displayed by A&P's doting cashier stills exists today. The "nice guy" gag is ridiculously overused. A guy does something for the sake of humanity or for the greater good of the people, when in reality he is trying to get a girl to date him. Then, when she refuses his advances, or is simply not there to accept or deny his "offer" for her to date him (because in the case of nice guys they are ALWAYS doing the girl a favor by letting her date him) they begin to blame the girl. "She's so rude" or "I don't understand why she had me quit my job for her" may be common phrases heard being said by the nice guy. This writing piece isn't a sign of the times, nor is its cashier. The fact of the matter is the work is sexist.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts